Monday, April 2, 2012

Monochrome Babe

What I'm wearing: thrifted top, Forever 21 skirt (that I might wear too much... *shrug*), thrifted sweater, American Apparel thigh-highs, Predictions saddle shoes.

Happy Monday (yet again)! I'm starting to think that I should start doing weekly outfit posts on Mondays, especially since the last time I posted was on a Monday. Basically I'm just too sleepy the other days of the week to put together interesting outfits:

Monday: "Whee! I went thrifting over the weekend and I wanna wear all my new clothes and look super-cute!" (why am I so perky on mondays I annoy everyone...)
Tuesday: "Ehh... I look all right I guess. Uninspired."
Wednesday: "This is uncomfortable. I can't wait to go home and get into my PJ's..."
Thursday: "Zzz... I should probably put clothes on, huh?"
Friday: "I can't adventure in cute clothes! What if I get dirty? Tee shirt, check. Shorts, check. Combat boots, check. Done."

Oh, and by the way, I don't have classes on Friday, so that's usually my only day off of the week (part-time job, holla!). Alejandro and I usually go adventuring at parks and things that day, so I slum it big time. Sometimes you just gotta be practical, ya know?


The Peter Pan collar top was from a thrift store in Naples (Florida, not Italy... unfortunately). I was there all last weekend visiting the grandparents.

I got a horrid sunburn on my belly from sitting in the sun, trying desperately to even out my tan (I've got a serious case of tee-shirt and shorts tan, thanks constant Florida sun), but that was not the highlight of my trip. Oh, no.

I thrifted on Saturday for about three hours straight--by myself, I might add. Nobody else who was at the house that weekend appreciates a good thrifting opportunity. My mom is convinced that thrift shops are smelly.

Anyways, I burned rubber in my mom's (frighteningly large) minivan, which I'm not used to driving, navigating with directions on a post-it note in a town I had never driven in before. Needless to say, I got a little lost.

After a bit of scary driving, I finally found the first thrift store. Naples, being the home of multitudes of rich elderly folk, was quite a treasure trove for used clothing. Pro thrifting tip: never go into places that look like boutiques if you want the real--cheap!--experience. There usually are a lot of nice things in the boutiques... and you'll most likely spend far too much money for something you could have thrifted yourself, through lots of fun digging through racks upon racks of secondhand gems!

Anyways, the first place I went to had that kind of "boutique" atmosphere, frequented by a lot of rich old women who apparently loved giving dirty looks to youngsters in mullet hem skirts and studded neon bags. I wouldn't have stayed there if there wasn't a "half off almost everything" kind of sale going on. I bought a pare of Acne-looking boots and high-tailed it out of there.

I scurried, breathless, off to Goodwill, where low prices are practically part of their mission statement. Right? Wrong. Almost everything I found was 8 to 10 bucks, but their merchandise was relatively good. There was a huuuuuge amount of shoes though. Naples is FANTASTIC when it comes to shoes. I don't know why. Also, their jeans? Holy crap. I found pairs of Rock & Republic, 7even Jeans, True Religion, Joe's, and 7 For All Mankind. Like seriously. Nine dollars each.

Unfortunately I didn't fit into any of them. (CURSE YOU CHILD-BEARING PELVIS)



Even so, I found a lot of good stuff there, this top being one of them. I love it, besides the stiffness of the fabric, hence the awkward torso-ruffle going on. Oy. Sometimes ya just can't win.


BUT HEY DO YOU SEE MY NEW SADDLE SHOES? AHHHH.

They're wonderful. I love them. The end.

So that was my fun weekend, I'll try to post again some time this week. Here's this song by Shearwater that I've been listening to almost nonstop this week, I'll make a playlist soon I believe. So much new stufffffff!

You As You Were- Shearwater




4 comments:

  1. that's so strange that you're energetic on mondays. my whole state of being is like, teenage-zombie-that-just-crawled-out-of-its-grave-and-is-seeing-sunlight-for-the-first-time.
    this zombie likes your shirt though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look lovely! I really love that peter pan collar blouse, and basically this whole silhouette? Over the knee socks 4 LIFE.

    My fave thrifting cities are non-cool cities. They have the weirdest and cheapest stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously can we start an over-the-knee-socks club? They're my favorite. And to be honest, my town has some pretty badass thrift shops--there's a Salvation army in walking distance from my house that's almost always pretty amazing.

      Delete
  3. It's ok, atleast you have will to do outfits on Mondays. It's so cold here I lost mine :D
    Beautiful outfit, very chicky :)

    ReplyDelete